For the second month in a row, our exclusive excerpt from Mike Allen’s dark fantasy novel The Black Fire Concerto tops our fiction charts. Those interested in more from the book can listen to our own C.S.E. Cooney read from Chapter One, in a lengthy podcast at HauntedStars.com.
Last month’s third place holder, Dave Gross’ Pathfinder Tales: King of Chaos, moved on up into second place this month. You folks certainly enjoy novel excerpts.
In third place was Mark Rigney’s “The Find,” part of his perennially popular Tales of Gemen series; fourth was E.E. Knight’s “The Terror in the Vale,” his second tale of The Blue Pilgrim, following “That of the Pit.”
Also making the list were exciting stories by Joe Bonadonna, John C. Hocking, Martha Wells, Alex Kreis, David C. Smith, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Howard Andrew Jones, Aaron Bradford Starr, Jamie McEwan, Michael Shea, Peadar Ó Guilín, Janet Morris and Chris Morris, and David Evan Harris.
If you haven’t sampled the adventure fantasy stories offered through our new Black Gate Online Fiction line, you’re missing out. For the past year we’ve presented an original short story or novella from the best writers in the industry every week, all completely free. Here are the Top Twenty most-read stories in November:
- An excerpt from The Black Fire Concerto, by Mike Allen
- An excerpt from Pathfinder Tales: King of Chaos, by Dave Gross
- “The Find,,” Part II of The Tales of Gemen, by Mark Rigney
- “The Terror in the Vale,” by E.E. Knight
- “Draugr Stonemaker,” by Vaughn Heppner
- “The Moonstones of Sor Lunarum,” by Joe Bonadonna
- An excerpt from Pathfinder Tales: Queen of Thorns, by Dave Gross
- “Vestments of Pestilence,” by John C. Hocking
- The Death of the Necromancer, a complete novel by Martha Wells
- “The Renunciation of the Crimes of Gharad the Undying,” by Alex Kreis
- An excerpt from Dark Muse, by David C. Smith
- “Truck Stop Luck,” by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
- An excerpt from The Bones of the Old Ones, by Howard Andrew Jones
- “The Sealord’s Successor,” by Aaron Bradford Starr
- “The Serpent of Thep,” by Vaughn Heppner
- “Falling Castles,” by Jamie McEwan
- “Tsathoggua,” by Michael Shea
- “The Dowry,” by Peadar Ó Guilín
- “The Sacred Band“ by Janet Morris and Chris Morris
- “The Gentle Sleeper“ by David Evan Harris
The complete catalog of Black Gate Online Fiction, including new stories by Ryan Harvey, John R. Fultz, Gregory Bierly, Vera Nazarian, C.S.E. Cooney, Jason E. Thummel, Judith Berman, Harry Connolly, and many others, is here.
The Top fiction from October is here.