Our exclusive excerpt from Mike Allen’s dark fantasy novel The Black Fire Concerto was our most popular work of fiction in October, its first month at the top of the charts. John R. Fultz called it “A post-apocalyptic melody played on strings of Terror and Sorcery,” and apparently word is getting around.
Joe Bonadonna’s “The Moonstones of Sor Lunarum,” in the number 2 slot, has been steadily creeping up the charts since we posted it last December. It is without a doubt the most consistently popular work of fiction we have ever published.
Last month’s chart topper, Dave Gross’ Pathfinder Tales: King of Chaos, came in third, an entirely respectable showing; and John C. Hocking’s new story “Vestments of Pestilence” broke into the Top Ten for the first time, coming in 4th. Rounding out the Top Five was E.E. Knight’s perennial favorite “The Terror in the Vale,” first published in January.
Also making the list were exciting stories by Janet Morris and Chris Morris, David Evan Harris, Martha Wells, Peadar Ó Guilín, David C. Smith and Joe Bonadonna, David C. Smith, Howard Andrew Jones, Michael Shea, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Mark Rigney, Jamie McEwan, Aaron Bradford Starr, Alex Kreis, and Ryan Harvey.
If you haven’t sampled the adventure fantasy stories offered through our new Black Gate Online Fiction line, you’re missing out. For the past year we’ve presented an original short story or novella from the best writers in the industry every week, all completely free. Here are the Top Twenty most-read stories in October:
- An excerpt from The Black Fire Concerto, by Mike Allen
- “The Moonstones of Sor Lunarum,” by Joe Bonadonna
- An excerpt from Pathfinder Tales: King of Chaos, by Dave Gross
- “Vestments of Pestilence,” by John C. Hocking
- “The Terror in the Vale,” by E.E. Knight
- “The Sacred Band” by Janet Morris and Chris Morris
- “The Gentle Sleeper” by David Evan Harris
- An excerpt from Pathfinder Tales: Queen of Thorns, by Dave Gross
- The Death of the Necromancer, a complete novel by Martha Wells
- “The Dowry,” by Peadar Ó Guilín
- An excerpt from The Waters of Darkness, by David C. Smith and Joe Bonadonna
- An excerpt from Dark Muse, by David C. Smith
- An excerpt from The Bones of the Old Ones, by Howard Andrew Jones
- “Tsathoggua,” by Michael Shea
- “Truck Stop Luck,” by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
- “The Find,,” Part II of The Tales of Gemen, by Mark Rigney
- “Falling Castles,” by Jamie McEwan
- “The Sealord’s Successor,” by Aaron Bradford Starr
- “The Renunciation of the Crimes of Gharad the Undying,” by Alex Kreis
- “Stand at Dubun-Geb,” by Ryan Harvey
The complete catalog of Black Gate Online Fiction, including new stories by Vaughn Heppner, John R. Fultz, Gregory Bierly, Vera Nazarian, C.S.E. Cooney, Jason E. Thummel, Judith Berman, Harry Connolly, and many others, is here.
The Top fiction from September is here.