The Legend Award for Best Fantasy Novel
- The Daylight War, Peter V Brett (Del Rey)
- Emperor of Thorns, Mark Lawrence (Harper Collins)
- The Republic of Thieves, Scott Lynch (Gollancz)
- A Memory of Light, Brandon Sanderson & Robert Jordan (Tor)
- War Master’s Gate, Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tor)
The David Gemmell Legend Award is a fan-voted award administered by the DGLA. The Legend Award for Best Fantasy Novel was first granted in 2009 to Andrzej Sapkowski’s Blood of Elves; in 2010, the winner was Graham McNeill’s Empire: The Legend of Sigmar; and in 2011, it was Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings. In 2012, the winner was The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss and last year, The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks took home the top prize.
The Gemmell Award is not the only award administered by the DGLA; every year it gives out two others: The Morningstar Award for Best Fantasy Newcomer and The Ravenheart Award for Best Fantasy Cover Art. So much excitement packed into one ceremony! The nominees for those awards follow.
The Morningstar Award for Best Fantasy Newcomer
- The Garden of Stones, Mark T Barnes (47 North)
- Headtaker, David Guymer (Black Library)
- Promise of Blood, Brian McLellan (Orbit)
- The Path of Anger, Antoine Rouaud (Gollancz)
- The Grim Company, Luke Scull (Head of Zeus)
- Benjamin Carre for the cover of The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch (Gollancz)
- Jason Chan for the cover of Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Harper Collins)
- Cheol Joo Lee for the cover of Skarsnik by Guy Haley (Black Library)
- Gene Mollica & Michael Frost for the cover of Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan (Orbit)
- Rhett Podersoo for the cover of She Who Waits by Daniel Polansky (Hodder)
The winners will be announced on June 13, 2014 in London. Complete details are available at the DGLA website.
Congratulations to all the nominees!