James Enge to do Morlock Trilogy: Tournament of Shadows

Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 | Posted by C.S.E. Cooney

morlock41I can’t help it! I must speak, and I must speak now, for I just found out about it. John O’Neill will probably glare at me, because once he hears, he’ll immediately want to post about it, and then he’ll discovered that I already have!!!

*cue maniacal laughter, canned music of doom*

But! But! So, I was cruising LiveJournal, you know, like you do, and there was a James Enge post, so I stopped by (which I always must, compulsively strewing comments like candy wrappers, and then suffering a guilty conscience about the inevitable litter of exclamation points), and there it was…

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

I’ve signed with Lou Anders at Pyr to do three more Morlock books. The contracts were dated March 25–Fall of Sauron Day! Coincidence, or destiny?

This will actually be a trilogy, not three standalone books. Each book will have its own story (because I believe in plot resolution) but each book will depend on its predecessor(s) more than the three books of Morlock in exile did. It’s not a prequel trilogy, though. It’s an origin story. The trilogy as a whole is titled Tournament of Shadows. The first book, which should be out next year, is called A Guile of Dragons. Which is about as much as I should say, since I’m not done with it yet…

There. Did that not just make your day???

For those of you who don’t know, Morlock Ambrosius rocks my world, your world, the Sea of Worlds, and any other world you can think of. He is a Maker, a son of Merlin, a Crooked Man, a crow-talker, a sometime drunk, a dragonslayer, a friend to werewolves and the bane of things that want to kill him. Novels thus far featuring him? Why, they are Blood of Ambrose (nominated last year for the World Fantasy award), This Crooked Way and The Wolf Age.

All of which, may I add, are worthy of your time: at the cost of meals, sleep and possibly your dignity as you find yourself trawling Enge’s LiveJournal and leaving a slew of capital letters in your wake…

1. This is great news! although having to wait kind of makes it bitter sweet. I flew through this crooked way and the wolf age. Some of the best fantasy i’ve read in a long time..

Comment by Glenn - April 6, 2011 12:41 pm

2. Oh, man! I know! The WAIT! If by harnessing crows and sending them winging to the Enge Swamp I could make him write these books quicker, there wouldn’t be a murder within a 100 mile radius safe from my net!!!

Comment by C.S.E. Cooney - April 6, 2011 12:43 pm

3. > John O’Neill will probably glare at me, because once he hears, he’ll immediately
    > want to post about it, and then he’ll discovered that I already have!!!

This is, in fact, exactly what happened. Exactly.

Comment by John ONeill - April 6, 2011 3:30 pm

4. Luckily, I learned about it from C.S.E. Cooney (via Facebook) first.

I immediately suggested we do a post about it, and she said “I did it, like, AN HOUR AGO!!!???”

And nice job too, Cooney.

*(subdued glare)*

Comment by John ONeill - April 6, 2011 3:31 pm

5. Thanks, Alfred. You know that I am your loyal minion.

…Except when James says, “I am writing three more Morlock books, Claire,” (not that he said it to ME ezzactly, but I can pretend, right?) in which case, I am HIS loyal minion.

Thankfully, his plans for dominion over the World Fantastic pretty much run parallel to yours over the World At Large, so I haven’t had to choose to whose interests I should give priority. Yet.

Comment by C.S.E. Cooney - April 6, 2011 3:36 pm

6. I wonder if I could purchase Enge’s loyalty as a minion, by offering him dominion over the World Fantastic under my wider rule.

Sort of like General Zod, buying off Lex Luthor by giving him Australia.

Comment by John ONeill - April 6, 2011 4:09 pm

7. You two can work it out between you. I’m sure you’ll come to mutual agreement and a wealth of opals and kryptonite.

…But I might defect to the World Fantastic, one way or another, to serve as minion to the man who made the Maker. You know. Just to give you a heads up and all.

Comment by C.S.E. Cooney - April 6, 2011 4:12 pm

8. I see how it is.

Comment by John ONeill - April 6, 2011 7:22 pm

9. Thanks, all. To me your voices are more musical even than crows’.

Comment by James Enge - April 6, 2011 9:32 pm

10. That makes my day. Okay, it’s tied for first place with planting carrot seeds in the garden with my kids, but reading this post is the best thing that’s happened to me today that hasn’t involved instruction in Elemental Spring Hope (and potting soil).

Claire, you leave a trail of exclamation marks, and I leave a trail of parentheses. If we’re ever lost in a forest together and beset by punctuation-eating birds, we’ll at least stand a chance of making it out alive. (If all else fails, I have some more carrot seeds.)

Comment by Sarah Avery - April 6, 2011 11:00 pm

11. Terrific news! Congrats to Master Enge!

Keep working that magic…

Comment by John R. Fultz - April 6, 2011 11:34 pm

12. @James: Caw-ngratulations.
    Ahem.
    Oh, never mind…

Comment by C.S.E. Cooney - April 6, 2011 11:46 pm

13. @Sarah: I have a habit of orphaning parentheses myself! Maybe some of my little brackets can meet YOUR little brackets in the woods, and they can pwn some witches and eat some candy houses and, and… grow carrots. While they’re at it.

Comment by C.S.E. Cooney - April 6, 2011 11:48 pm

14. @Mr. Fultz: SECONDED!
    Yay, peer pressure!

Comment by C.S.E. Cooney - April 6, 2011 11:48 pm

15. Fantastic news! Congrats James.

Comment by Bill Ward - April 8, 2011 5:33 pm