In January 2022, Black Gate spotlighted Rogues in the House Sword & Sorcery podcast covering the folks/rogues behind the show and highlighted episodes (Go Rogues! link). In that post, we shared their podcast guest list that included S&S authors like Howard Andrew Jones, Scott Oden, John R. Fultz, and Jason Ray Carney, and even Morgan King & Phil Gelatt (creators of the movie The Spine of Night), Peter D. Adkison (founder and first CEO of Wizards of the Coast and owner of GenCon, the world’s largest board game convention), and Sara Frazetta (granddaughter of the fantasy master painter, an artist herself, and CEO of Frazetta Girls).
In July 2022, they released A Book of Blades Volume I, with 15 stories by as many Sword & Sorcery authors as featured on Black Gate.
And now, this July 2023, Rogues in the House Podcast brings us A Book of Blades Volume II! Order now (link).
This sequel offers 14 contemporary stories (see Table of Contents below). Rogue Logan D. Whitney pens the opening acknowledgments with callouts to cover artist Jesus Garcia (who also illustrated Vo I.) and Interior illustrator Gilead Artist; kudos to Nathaniel Webb for formatting; and a tease for offering an audiobook with narration from Ember Lin (who narrated A Book of Blades Volume I) which appears to be slated for Volume 2.
A Book of Blades Vol. II Cover Blurb
Within this tome are buried the blades of warriors, thieves, and wizards. Tales of their deeds, glories, and triumphs shall ring throughout the ages.
Rogues in the House Podcast has once again gathered the best tales of Sword & Sorcery from across the community.
Here, brave adventurers will discover tales of daring and adventure, of dark sorcery and bloody combat, all penned by members of the burgeoning Sword & Sorcery Community. Returning authors John R. Fultz, Jason Ray Carney, and Charles Clark are joined by new additions like J. Thomas Howard, Bryn Hammond, and the legendary Kirk A. Johnson. Journey across distant, unremembered lands with these bold voices and many more!
Contents & Authors
- The White Tower by Charles Clark
- The Wolves of Winter Road by T.A. Markitan
- Breaching Earth’s Womb by S.E. Lindberg
- Beasts of Waste & Desolation by Scott Oden
- Goat Against the City God by Bryn Hammond
- The Toe of Pergendu by Jason Ray Carney
- Ceremony by Z.S. Reynolds
- Cries for a Sleeping City by Matthew John
- Something Oath-like by Oliver Brackenbury
- The Geomancer’s Son by J. Thomas Howard
- What the Desert Blows In by J.M Clarke
- The Oculus of Kii by Kirk A. Johnson
- Return of the Quill by John R. Fultz
- The Horror from the Stars by Steve Dilks
Join the critically acclaimed podcast focusing on Sword and Sorcery & Heroic Fantasy.
- Podcast portal: Rogues in the House – the Ultimate S&S Podcast
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/RoguesintheHouse
- Twitter: twitter.com/rogues_podcast
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/roguesinthehouse/
S.E. Lindberg is a Managing Editor at Black Gate, regularly reviewing books and interviewing authors on the topic of “Beauty & Art in Weird-Fantasy Fiction.” He is also the lead moderator of the Goodreads Sword & Sorcery Group and an intern for Tales from the Magician’s Skull magazine. As for crafting stories, he has contributed six entries across Perseid Press’s Heroes in Hell and Heroika series, has an entry in Weirdbook Annual #3: Zombies He independently publishes novels under the banner Dyscrasia Fiction; short stories of Dyscrasia Fiction have appeared in Whetstone, Swords & Sorcery online magazine, Rogues In the House Podcast’s A Book of Blades, DMR’s Terra Incognita, and the 9th issue of Tales From the Magician’s Skull.