The Top 50 Black Gate Posts in May
It was all about the king of monsters at the Black Gate blog last month.
Ryan Harvey’s Godzilla review was our top article in May. His mammoth 5-part history of the Big Guy was also picked up by Boing-Boing, among other places, exposing the series to thousands of new readers; the final installment came in at #3 for the month. If you visited the site last month and read nothing but Godzilla articles, you weren’t the only one.
My analysis of John C. Wright’s conservative manifesto “Heinlein, Hugos, and Hogwash,” and the frequently hilarious response in the blogosphere, was our second most read article last month. Garrett Calcaterra’s well-researched “Can SF Save the World From Climate Change?” came in at #4.
Rounding out the Top Five was Fletcher Vredenburgh’s warm appreciation of Keith Taylor’s sword & sorcery classic, Bard.
The complete Top 50 Black Gate posts in May were:
- Godzilla (2014) Is a True Godzilla Film and a Unique Blockbuster
- A Ride Along with the Thought Police: John C. Wright, Foz Meadows, and Rachel Aaron
- A History of Godzilla on Film, Part 5: The Travesty and the Millennium Era (1996–2004)
- Can SF Save the World From Climate Change?
- A Perfect Artifact from the Glory Days of 1970s Swords & Sorcery: Keith Taylor’s Bard
- Category: Magazines
- Windaria: The Eternal Conflict Between Beauty and Violence
- Author Spotlight on James Sutter
- Category: Blog Entry
- The Fascination of Dragons
- The Joy of Outlining
- Four Modules
- Category: Writing
- The Serious Novel isn’t Dead, It Won
- Announcing the Winner of the Laurence Manning Giveaway
- The Hugo Ballot: Another View
- “I rolled a critical hit against Yog-Sothoth!”: Revisiting AD&D Deities and Demigods (4th and Final Part)
- The Public Life of Sherlock Holmes: A Man Called Spade
- A Knight Dies in Bed
- A Hero Must Strive: My Favorite Fantasy Heroes
- The Public Life of Sherlock Holmes: Sherlock (Doctor) Who?
- Rogues Gallery
- Goth Chick News: The Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo
- How Much Backstory Do We Really Need?
- Little Blue Squares
- Vintage Treasures: The Book of Skaith: The Adventures of Eric John Stark by Leigh Brackett
- Viking Art, Magic, and Wisdom at the British Museum
- Going Home
- Washington Attorney General Files Suit Against Ed Nash for Kickstarter Fraud
- The Shout of a Young Man Who Finds the World a Complicated Place: The Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock
- Mothra vs. King Ghidorah: Which Toho Monster Will Appear in the Next U.S. Godzilla Movie?
- Against the Giants of Chaos: Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land
- Los Caballeros Templares
- Compiling The Big Book of Swashbuckling Adventure
- Blogging Dan Barry’s Flash Gordon, Part Fifteen
- The Thrill of Writing, the Agony of Revision
- King Conan Gets a Movie Poster
- Galaxy Science Fiction, November 1951: A Retro-Review
- One of the Best Serials Ever Made: The Adventures of Captain Marvel, Chapter One: Curse of the Scorpion
- Vintage Treasures: Science Fiction of the 30′s edited by Damon Knight
- Art of the Genre: The Art of ‘Making Your Own Way’
- So We Were In This Bar…
- “An Element of Imagination”: Olga Slavnikova’s 2017
- Jews With Swords: Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon
- Future Treasures: Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence
- Category: Books
- Goth Chick News: Lovecraft Fans, It’s Time for a Road Trip
- True Places: Jan Morris’ Hav
- Werewolves, Vampires, Zombies, Serial Killers, and the Horror of Mundane Lives: Nathan Ballingrud’s North American Lake Monsters
The Top 5o Black Gate blog posts in April are here, and you can see all 119 posts we made in the month of May here.